Late on Friday 24th April 2020, the necessary gazetting process was finalised and the Residential Tenancies & Rooming Accommodation (COVID-19 Emergency Response) Regulation 2020 has now come into operation. This final step in the legislative process means that the new temporary laws regarding special COVID-19 protections for residential tenancies commence from 24th April 2020 and are now in effect.
The main concern from Landlords has been surrounding rent arrears, however there are also some changes that impact rights of entry to tenanted premises, break lease provisions, obligations for routine repairs and rights to terminate tenancies.
For those that would like to read further, the Residential Tenancies Practice Guide is an easier read than the actual legislation. For those that prefer a verbal explanation to a long read we welcome your call! Heather is on 0421 235 664.
As a member office of both the REIQ and Real Estate Excellence Academy, we are receiving updates and best practice advise as soon as these are released. We remain calm and composed to deal with matters as they arise. There will be some ‘precedence’ to follow as the RTA and QCAT start handling these matters, however having a legislative framework to follow provides a great sense of reassurance.
One thing is for sure – we look forward to reflecting on this all as a distant memory!
Frequently asked questions
Starting a tenancy
- My tenant has moved out. What can I do to get my money?
- My tenant says they can’t pay the rent anymore. I still have bills to pay.
- My tenants were behind with their rent before the pandemic was declared.
- The mortgage on my investment property is in arrears, what relief can I access?
- My COVID-19 impacted tenants have abandoned my property – what can I do?
- Does my previous notice to leave still apply if it was before the emergency arrangements started?
Inspections and maintenance
Ending a tenancy
- When can I issue a notice to leave?
- What if I have issued a notice to leave for a date after 29/3 and I already have someone else lined up to move in?
With thanks as always,
Aaron and Heather Jopson (and Michelle, Liz, Bianca, Jade and Lauren)
Business Owners – Beyond Property Management
07 3188 7651 / email@example.com